Sandwiches come in all shapes and sizes, with all kinds of fillings, like cheese or tuna or peanut butter and jelly. There are also all kinds of bready things to put those fillings into, like bagels, buns, naan, pita bread, and even sandwiches rolled up in tortillas. You may not know it yet, but August is National Sandwich Month! And the 20th of August is National Bacon Day! Those are two good reasons this recipe, Turkey Club Roll-ups, from the cookbook Six Ingredients with Six Sisters’ Stuff, is perfect for the last month of summer!
Turkey Club Roll-ups
Makes 4 large or 8 smallish servings
What You Need:
- 4 large flour tortillas1
- 16 slices deli turkey (or thinly sliced turkey breast; ask your grownup helper to do the slicing)
- 12 deli-sized slices sharp cheddar cheese (you can use your favorite kind of sliced cheese)
- 8 strips cooked bacon
- Ranch dressing2 (for dipping)
- Optional: lettuce leaves and tomatoes (sliced by your grownup helper)
What You Do:
- Lay tortillas on a big platter.
- Top each tortilla with 4 slices deli turkey and 3 slices cheese.
- Lay 2 strips of bacon on top of the cheese.
- Add the tomato and lettuce if you are using those.
- Roll up each tortilla.
- Ask your grownup helper to slice the roll-up, and serve it with ranch dressing on the side.
Helpful Hints and Hacks:
- If you store your tortillas in the refrigerator, warm them up one at a time for 10 – 20 seconds in the microwave.
- You can mix 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise with 1 teaspoon of honey mustard or yellow mustard and spread the mixture on the inside of the tortillas for added flavor, which is what I did. What an amazing pop of flavor!
These turkey club roll-ups are great to make and take for a school lunch or a hike or a trip to the zoo. It is so easy to make when you’ve got cooked bacon and the other ingredients ready to go. It’s a good idea to ask your grownup helper to keep some cooked bacon strips in the freezer so you can make this roll-up with all the right stuff. Just take the number of bacon strips you need out of the freezer the night before you want to make your roll-ups put them in the fridge to thaw overnight. Have fun making this yummy rolled up sandwich, and ciao for now!
Review by Anne